Wednesday, April 9, 2008

A Visit from Aaron & Megan

Last Tuesday, Aaron and Megan finished a long, arduous trek from Seattle through Newark to Cologne; we were super glad they did. The four of us trekked about Cologne for a couple days, peeking at the Cathedral (where I lost a hat), visiting the Chocolate Museum, sampling local breads, kölsches, and falafel, and running through a few favorite weekly rituals. Also celebrating my 30th birthday! Then on Thursday we took a train along the Rhein to the small town of Bacharach, where we lodged way up the hill in, ahem, a castle, and explored what turned out to be a very beautiful town (and where I lost, but later recovered, a pair of gloves).
After a couple days of that, we took a short jaunt to St. Goar, and spent most of that visit checking out the 13th Century Rheinfels Castle (and Aaron lost a beloved scarf).
Finally, on Sunday, we did the Beethoven and Schumann tour of Bonn (this time without seriously imperiling any cold weather accessories).

There is lots, lots more to tell, but I'll leave most of the storytelling to the billions of photos we took over the course of the week. Do visit our Picassa page; I've narrowed the selection down to, uh, 70 photos, most with captions. Y'know, since you didn't have anything to do today.

5 comments:

Aaron Burkhalter said...

So we're back home, and back to work. I'm wishing we were still eating pretzels (LAUGERpredzels!) and drinking Kolsch over there...

Thanks for letting us stay and keeping our hotel expenses down!

Chris Burkhalter said...

Oh, you haven't received our bill yet?

Aaron Burkhalter said...

Oh we did, but we accidentally threw it in to the fire... which was really quite the elaborate accident considering it's gas we're not supposed to actually be able to open the door. It's amazing what can happen when you accidentally open the door up, through the paper into the flames...

Apenguininthelighthouse said...

Hey it looks like fun was had by all. If you haven't been updated yet. My etd for all points west is May 31, June 1 I will send my blogspot link as soon as I can figure out how to.

Anonymous said...

It looks like fun was had by all. Upadte

My etd for points west is 5/31 or 6/1 I will send you my blogspot info at a later date

Janet