Friday, January 11, 2008

Kontroll

And the voice-dub campaign contines... Friday we went to a preview screening of Anton Corbijn's Ian Curtis biopic, Control. I like watching movies at museums, cause it makes me feel all smart. What doesn't make me feel smart is sitting through English-language films dubbed in German. Despite advertising to the contrary, that's just what this was. I was pretty familiar with the Joy Division story, and the music sequences were mercifully not dubbed, so this wasn't altogether a complete catastrophe.

My classmate Juan hasn't found dubbing to be quite the disaster that I have, probably because he's caught on to the language more quickly than I. Last week he caught the remake of The Heartbreak Kid with German dubbing, something The Chicago Reader's Jonathan Rosenbaum probably wouldn't object to.

No comments: